[ExI] John Horgan and George Johnson on singularity

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jun 14 16:46:28 UTC 2008

Two notable science writers tell each other why it's all "just
science fiction":

<http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/11935?in=00:06:25&out=00:15:11>

(Why is this regarded as a *criticism,* I often wonder? It's like
saying, "Oh, television, microwaved meals, rockets to the Moon,
atomic energy and weapons, life on other worlds--that's all just
science fiction.")

Mr. Johnson explains wearily that it must all be bunk because he
wrote about just such ideas 25 years ago. And hey, look--it still
hasn't happened! And if it did life would be *sooo boooorrrrring.*
This in the same week that a petaflop computer is announced.

But at least this was part of a discussion of the book I edited, YEAR
MILLION, and Mr. Horgan's review of it in the Wall Street Journal
yesterday. Maybe some viewers and readers will be tempted to see what
the book actually says...

Damien Broderick