[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 57, Issue 10

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sat Jun 14 16:27:37 UTC 2008

Subject: Re: [ExI] "Death gives meaning to life?"

Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

 > At 11:26 PM 6/11/2008 +0000, BillK wrote:

 > >If nobody ever died, and life just goes on with no end, then there is
 > >less pressure to do stuff. They can always do it next year if they
 > >want to.

 > How do you know this? From all those sad cases of bone-idle immortals
 > in our midst from prehistory?

 > I can assure you that I feel a damned sight less pressure to do stuff
 > now that my body and brain are breaking down, and knowing that I'll
 > be dead meat in the next 5, 10 or 20 years--and if it's 20 years,
 > I'll probably be brain-dead meat anyway. That foul prospect corrodes
 > me, comrade, it does nothing to concentrate my mind wonderfully.

 > Damien Broderick

Well said, Damien.

Also, there's another aspect: What about the extended period of
increasing debility that old age brings? I have some experience of being
debilitated then being restored to good health again, and i can tell
you, i know which state gives more 'meaning' to my life!

Besides, surely it's up to each individual to decide what 'meaning'
their own life has under different circumstances?
This isn't something that can be decided on theoretical grounds, then
extended over the whole population.

ben zaiboc