[ExI] Defeatist Science Fiction Writers

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:56:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> For all his madcap energy, Phil Dick did this a lot,
> which makes it easy to conscript and bastardize/dumb-down his stories
> into action movies full of Bad Things coming to get us, and at the
> same time hail and canonize him from within an academy where the word
> "anxiety" remains a touchstone to Deep Thought.

Interestingly, however, the "meaning" of Dick's novels may be easily
reversed in their cinematic versions. For instance, Do Androids Dream of
Plastic Sheeps? is definitely anti-tech, but my grasp of Blade Runner is
that replicants are the tragic heroes most of people are going to identify
with...

Stefano Vaj