[ExI] Economics of SENS

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 09:58:57 UTC 2008

A question entered my mind today: With rising medical costs and an ever
increasing population of elderly forced to retire at age 65 just when they
start needing the medical care the most, would the added productivity of SENS
and the elimination of the medical costs associated with aging simply by
preventing it not be more cost effective for individuals, insurance companies,
and society as a whole in the long run? I don't have any numbers but I suspect
that government/private investment in SENS could conceivably pay for itself in
the span of several decades. I mean why let a productive tax-payer, consumer,
or policy holder steadily become a burden on society by letting him get old
when it is preventable? Any thoughts? This might be topic that Robin Hanson and
Aubrey de Grey could address more effectively than I for obvious reasons.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"In ancient times they had no statistics so that they had to fall back on lies."- Stephen Leacock