[ExI] Programme Riz Khan: Guantanamo: The detainees

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 12:10:37 UTC 2008

 Amara Graps quoted:

Summary from
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/059EA4E1-1C50-46F5-92F0-0E92880CFF0C.
htm

<begin quote>
"The worst of the worst." That is how the Bush administration described the
more than 770 detainees held at Guantanamo Bay.

But a closer look at those released from the detention facility shows
anything but. Many, like the Uighur detainees from China, were simply at the
wrong place at the wrong time. Others were 'turned in' because they fell
victim to familial or tribal grudges. In fact, the value of the information
provided by detainees at Guantanamo was of very limited value, so much so,
that former Pentagon officials described it as "worthless" and "useless".

So who are the detainees of Guantanamo Bay and why were they held for so
long if they had no real information?

On Tuesday's Riz Khan we talk to Roy Gutman and Matt Schofield of McClatchy
News Service about the lives of those captured, held and released from
Guantanamo. The stories of 66 former detainees in 11 countries are the
subject of McClatchy's just released Guantanamo:
Beyond the Law.
<end quote>

My Response:

Then why since we're only releasing the detainees like Al-Ajmi from
Guantanamo who we feel are least likely to rejoin the terrorists did he blow
himself on May 8th in a suicide bombing in Iraq.

The same article confirms that other releasees from Guantanamo have been
subsequently killed in combat and suicide bombings.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/08/africa/gitmo.php

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/07/gitmo.bomber/

http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2008/20080508125900.aspx

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/08/guantanamo.usa

With every inmate we release from Guantanamo we risk future deaths of US
Forces and innocent civilians.