[ExI] The Total State

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jun 20 17:26:29 UTC 2008

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com:

>That's a horrifying collection of some of the reasons I have been an ACLU
>member since I was 17.

The primary resource I used to find the correct names to the programs
was the Politech mailing list. Declan and his strong readerbase at Politech
have been tracking these government actions for the last 15 years. If you
are not familiar with Politech, take a look. Some of the ACLU are Politech
participants/readers. The EFF is actively involved in Declan's list, as
well. He does cover legislation in all countries, however the focus is on
the US because of his readerbase (who send him material).

http://www.politechbot.com/info/about/

"Politech is the oldest Internet resource devoted exclusively to
politics and technology. Launched in 1994, the Politech mailing list has
chronicled the growing intersection of law, culture, technology,
politics, and law. Since 2000, so has the Politech web site."

You can follow archives back to 2003 here:

http://politechbot.com/pipermail/politech/

including downloading an mbox-formated file to browse with any text
reader or a Unix mail reader.

Historically (early - middle  90s) there was a relatively large overlap
of the groups of Extropians, Cypherpunks and Politech folks following
privacy, the legislation of technology, and the government use of
technology especially when violating civil liberties, but I think that
Declan's Politech efforts since have been deepest and most consistent to
follow the especially dangerous trends.

Amara
--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado