[ExI] Sarcasm

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 04:47:42 UTC 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008, hkhenson wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080620/sc_livescience/sarcasmse
>enasevolutionarysurvivalskill;_ylt=AmUrn21daOHtgsQar9PtRycDW7oF
>
> Someone might hunt up some more background on this.  I was a bit
> surprised that the brain seems to have a specific region that deals
> with sarcasm.  Personally I don't think I use sarcasm very often and
> (especially in an all text channel) don't always pick up on it.

There was an article I read a while ago that addressed all of these
articles that try to find regions of the brain that are associated with
certain processes. Ah, this was the same guy that wrote the Times
bestseller regarding ants and society, emergence and the like. He also
wrote a book about brains and his own personal journey into the abyss
regarding neurofeedback, fMRI, etc. In this book, around page 15, he
wrote that these studies about regions associated with a specific
function (like sarcasm) are interesting and amusing, but ultimately
they don't help you out at all, and ultimately you can't gain anything
from it. Not as long as you can't get to those machines and do the
feedback (these are my words I'm adding, not his).

- Bryan