[ExI] Galaxy map hints at fractal universe

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 26 00:34:35 UTC 2008

Bryan writes

> On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Jef Allbright wrote:
>> But a small team of physicists, including Francesco Sylos Labini of
>> the Enrico Fermi Centre in Rome and Luciano Pietronero of the
>> University of Rome argue that the data shows the opposite: the
>> universe continues to look fractal as far out as our telescopes can
>> see.
>
> I'm wondering what sort of interesting, non-optical but similar
> statements can be (validly) constructed on an information theoretic
> basis, instead of arguing the lack-of-a-wall. Something more juicy.

Yes, either way, we want an explanation. We do have to keep
in mind the discouraging possibility that there *is* no explanation
---just as it is possible that no theories will ever supersede QM
and GR. But we really do want more knowledge of the big picture,
and so long as our culture has any vigor at all, we'll keep looking.

Lee