[ExI] putative quantum computing breakthrough

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 21:43:45 UTC 2008

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2008a/080626KlimeckArsenic.html

The weirdness of quantum phenomena still puzzles and disorients me.
Occasionally though, within the shifting mists of Maya, I glimpse
something that gives me hope of someday making sense of it all,
whatever "it all" is.  Then, just as quickly, the something disappears
back into the mist, and I'm left as if standing alone at night on a
country road, the stillness returning, the car that roared by now just
the glow of a couple of fire flies in formation chasing a fleeting
phantom into the distant silence.

No doubt the next gen, less burdened by an iconic habit of classicism,
will stumble a bit closer to an answer.

     LET us go then, you and I,
     When the evening is spread out against the sky
     Like a patient etherised upon a table;
     Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
     The muttering retreats	                                           5
     Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
     And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
     Streets that follow like a tedious argument
     Of insidious intent
     To lead you to an overwhelming question …	 10
     Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
     Let us go and make our visit.

Indeed.  Let us go and make our visit.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles