[ExI] Oil will never run out

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 22:40:32 UTC 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> Thus, the real issue is to have plenty of cheap energy available.
> Once you have that, oil stops being a problem altogether.

Yep. This is where the idea of acquiring energy from increased surface
area with either photosynthetic organisms or just plain old solar array
fields comes into play. I had the fortunate opportunity to meet with an
individual from the Texas Department of Land a few weeks ago. There's
tons of land in West Texas that is completely unused and unkept
because, well, it's Texas and it inhales vigorously. Apparently the
State is considering using this land for 10-by-10 miles of solar
arrays. I'll have to double check and get some contacts on this.

But for something more sustainable, and more usable, I don't see why we
can't convert large 3D volumes of mass in space into 2D surface area
for our use. The main problem is the installation of relevant factories
and maintenance machines, as long as the machines can build more
surface area. It doesn't have to self-replicate, but that would be very
useful in this situation.

- Bryan