[ExI] Oil will never run out

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Mon Jun 30 03:07:47 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2008 21:52
Subject: Re: [ExI] Oil will never run out
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> On Sunday 29 June 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> > I'm sorry. Do you not see the necessity of an economically
> stable and
> > prospering civilization to have the resources available to develop
> > the new technologies necessary to bring about singularity?
>
> Resource availability has little to do with finances at this
> time. For
> instance, if you are poor or if you have a billion dollars, the
> star is
> still above us. For instance, whether you are poor or rich, your
> cells
> are still replicating and doing pretty interesting things. For
> instance, it is possible to make things without money, just as
> your
> body does.
>
> - Bryan

I forget sometimes that you are young. You just completely avoided the question.
The technology necessary for singularity isn't going to be made by some guy in a cave. It requires extremely high technology - far beyond what is capable of now. Technology requires industry. Industry requires economies. Economies require stability. Without stable growing economies you get no advancing industry and no advancing technology. A cell phone without civilization is just a paper weight.