[ExI] The Manifesto of Italian Transhumanists

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 15:30:17 UTC 2008

Stefano Vaj wrote:
Besides anedoctical evidence or personal inferences, and speaking of
statistics, for instance, already in 1993, an international poll conducted
by Daryl Macer<http://research.arc2.ucla.edu/pmts/Germline/Biography/cbdn.htm>,
manager in Japan of the Eubios Ethics
Institute<http://www2.unescobkk.org/eubios/>,
verified that the percentage of the general population in favour of the
general availability of genetic engineering technology aimed at both
preventing diseases and increasing physical and mental abilities inherited
by their offspring ranged, if I am not mistaken,  from 22% in Israel to 43%
in the US to *83%* (!) in India.

I am mytified by the low numbers for Israel.  I realize they have a vocal
conservative population among them (as the U.S. does) but I thought on the
whole it was a very technologically progressive nation.  In fact, I've heard
many anecdotes about how the typical Israeli is "adrift in a sea of
modernity" and definitely not religiously devout.  My take on Judaism (even
the more orthodox and conservative forms) was that they would be much more
open to "radical" biotech, etc. as compared to conservative American
Evangelicals.  Does anyone here know more about this matter?

I considered the combination of a highly educated citizenry, the constant
need to keep their already very high-tech economy competitive, the story of
having been so unloved by God that they have no confirmed oil reserves on
their land (as Golda Meir would joke!), and being a sliver of a country
surrounded by potential enemies (and so advanced technology is key to
defeating their numbers), that they would have a much more positive view of
genetic engineering.

I'd like to see a new poll taken  to find out if the 22% positive rating has
gone up significantly (since it was taken wayyyy back in 1993!, lol).  And I
want to have the reasons for/against also nailed down in this poll.

I have a feeling that the political, military and business leaders of Israel
will one way or another get the nation to invest heavily in genetic
engineering so they can reap the full benefits as the technology matures.
And the parents there will want their kids to have every competitive
advantage available (when the gene tweaking to make humans smarter,
healthier, longer lived, etc. becomes available) so the odds of personal
success will be in their offspring's favor.  It's hard for me to do, but I
will leave out the Jewish mother jokes.  : )

John Grigg