[ExI] Neo-fascist transhumanists? WAS: Manifesto of Italiantranshumanists

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Mar 2 18:07:25 UTC 2008

Estropico writes about the fascist and neo-fascist ideologies. Could
someone supply a score-card to us innocent bystanders as to what
is meant?  My problem is that in the Anglosphere the word "fascist"
is almost entirely meaningless (mainly because no one calls themselves
such a thing).  George Orwell said as early as 1946(!) that it had
become meaningless.

But perhaps in Europe, especially in Italy where the term originated
of course, things might be different. In the long URL below, Fabio
has evidently written

> The label "fascist" (or "neo-fascist") is generally rejected,
> but not by all [1].

but I cannot read the footnote. Are there really significant numbers
of people who call themselves either of these labels?  Are any of
them, calling themselves "fascist" or "neo-fascist" in the Italian
Transhumanist movement? (If there are, they should keep a low
profile about these names, since they certainly give a bad impression.
Or so I suppose.)

On what "fascism" originally meant,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
says, not surprisingly

      "patriotism, nationalism, statism, militarism, totalitarianism,
       anti-communism, corporatism, populism, collectivism,
       autocracy and opposition to political and economic liberalism

On neo-Fascism, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-fascism says

      Neo-fascism is a post-World War II ideology that includes
      significant elements of fascism. The term neo-fascist may
      apply to groups that express a specific admiration for
      Benito Mussolini and fascist Italy. Neo-fascism usually
      includes nationalism, anti-immigration policies or, where
      relevant, nativism (see definition), anti-communism, and
      opposition to the parliamentary system and liberal democracy.
     Allegations that a group is neo-fascist may be hotly contested,
     especially if the term is used as a politic epithet. Some post-
     World War II regimes have been described as neo-fascist
     due to their authoritarian nature, and sometimes due to their
     fascination with fascist ideology and rituals.

which seems fair (to me) and makes sense (to me).  It does in
English, that is :-)

Thanks,
Lee