[ExI] How could you ever support an AGI?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:09:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> At 09:16 PM 3/2/2008 +0100:
> >Unless of course we consider the coming of homo sapiens as "doom" or
> >"extinction" for our pre-sapiens ancestors.
>
> Of course we do (it was), but we don't care, unless we're
> exceptionally sentimental.

Yes, this is a possible way to put things. In the event of biological
descent one could even argue that each subsequent generation represents the
extinction of the previous one, or that mitosis represents the "death" of
the parent, and subsequently splitted, cell.

A more optimistic spin on the same phenomenon, however, is that the "life"
of a given species or unicellular organism "goes on" in its progeny.

I suspect that the difference between the two languages is much more of a
rhetoric rather than substantial nature.

Stefano Vaj