[ExI] LA Times: 'Physics of the Impossible' by Michio Kaku

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 18:07:36 UTC 2008

At 09:07 AM 3/3/2008 -0800, PJ quoted from an LA Times review:

>Class III -- well,
>don't hold your breath. This class, a short one, contains but two
>candidates, neither of which made the subtitle: the hoary "perpetual
>motion machine," which crackpots have been working on for hundreds of
>years, and precognition (efforts dating back to the Greeks). Of these,
>Kaku concludes that if "they do turn out to be possible, they would
>represent a fundamental shift in our understanding of physics."

I have to make my boringly familiar point: this second allegedly
impossible physics-shattering phenomenon is routinely observed in
parapsychology labs (on a stochastic basis), and the few physicists
who've tried to find some explanation for precognition usually claim
that it is quite consistent with accepted physics--perhaps, in fact,
required by the canon, which is almost entirely time symmetrical.

Damien Broderick