[ExI] How could you ever support an AGI?

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Mar 4 08:57:09 UTC 2008

Me:

"Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

>You mean, like retaining one's memories?

No, I'm talking about the superstition virtually everyone you'd likely meet on the street believes in and even most members of this list have about atoms.

If you believe in ESP or cold fusion you are wrong but your belief is unlikely to seriously harm you, but if you are unable to overcome the atoms superstition, if you do not understand that you are an adjective not a noun then you will die; that particular superstition is lethal, it will kill you dead dead dead. I'm afraid it's as simple as that.

> I thought that you agreed with the statement

> "Anything that remembers being me is me"

I do indeed agree with that statement, as a matter of fact unless I'm much mistaken I'm the one who coined it.

As for biological humans facing an Extinction Level Event, I've said before that I think the possibility a creature we would recognize as human existing in 50 years is low, and the possibility such a being could be found in 100 years is zero. I stand by that remark. But that's OK, 99% of all species that ever existed are extinct, but unlike most of them we will have descendants, and pretty damn interesting ones too!

You'd probably want to join the party, me too. If you can get over the atoms superstition you have a chance; not a good chance but a chance. If you can't overcome the superstition the outcome is certain, you're worm food.

  John K Clark