[ExI] The Manifesto of Italian Transhumanists

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Mar 4 16:38:12 UTC 2008

From: "Stefano Vaj" <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
>  >  I think it's important for Transhumanists to understand:
>>   Why too few votes? Why couldn't that referendum gather 50%? Can you
>>   answer?
>
>Mmhhh. Lack of information? Censorship by mainstream media? Cultural
>limits? Insufficient mobilisation or blatant betrayal of the forces
>who should theoretically have supported the referendum? Fear of the
>swinging catholic 4-5% in the upcoming elections ? The
>clever presentation of the law by its supporters as something
>concerning only couples with fertility problems (in fact it forbids
>almost all kinds of human reproductive or genetic technology)?

Thank you for these examples. It's quite a list. These are the
challenges of yours and AITs and the Italian transhumanists wouldn't you
say?

For example, media.

After Berlusconi is re-elected next month as Italy's prime minister, to
distribute accurate information (media) and change Italy's current media
laws, who do you think will win, a comedian-activist or one of the
richest men in the world?

Your other examples (which depend on education, pure research funding,
political agendas, the Vatican's influence in Italy's politics) have
similar (IMO insurmountable) challenges.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado