[ExI] 5 things you never knew your cell phone could do

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 03:52:15 UTC 2008

On 06/03/2008, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
> "John Grigg" <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> spammed the list:
>
> <snip a lot of drivel>
>
>  > This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass
>  > it on to your family and friends
>
> And this one sentence doesn't instantly ring loud alarm bells?
>

> Shakes Head Sadly

I was recently sent a (different) hoax email, and sent this in reply:

You can spot an email hoax by a number of telltale signs:
1 - They have dramatic subject lines (like "VERY REAL AND SERIOUS")
2 - They use overly emotive language
3 - They use colorful formatting, bolding, italics
4 - They implore you to forward them to everyone you know

This one scores low for 1, and for 2 (language is a bit emotive, but
not worse than a wired magazine article). 3 is tripped, with all the
ALL CAPS (and I bet the original version was html formatted). 4, well,
yeah, that's a giveaway.

Anyone got any other signs of an email hoax to add? "Clearly wrong"
doesn't count :-)

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com