[ExI] italian politics as exi-chat subject

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:33:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:
>  Is transhumanism bigger in Italy than in neighbouring countries of
>  comparable size, or is this just an impression I have got because of
>  the public fighting?

Last time I checked, AIT has approx 300 members, forty-something of whom
with voting rights. A few of them have profited from the double-membership
offer of WTA. AIT's public mailing list has around 200 subscribers and
counting. Italy should have a little more than 50 million inhabitants,
foreigners included.

Not bad indeed for something that was incorporated in 2007. Having left some
embarassing luggage behind and clarified a few issues (including through the
release of the Manifesto) we plan to expand our membership base
substantially in 2008, also thank to the publication of transhumanist
review, *Divenire*, with some academic endorsement. Moreover, a few people,
including myself, have had the opportunity to grant interviews or contribute
articles to national newspapers.

Please do not take however Italy as any kind of H- paradise. As pointed out
by Amara the Italian environment is *very* hostile, even though much more
amongst the Powers that Be and at a level of legal and economic
infrastructures than at a popular level. On the other hand, this makes for a
stronger polarisation, so that those who are tendentially favourable to H+
ideas may end up being more stimulated to get involved and/or to pay
attention.

Stefano Vaj