[ExI] Technical Uploading Difficulties

Henrique Moraes Machado cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:01:22 UTC 2008

Lee Corbin> I agree. But "simulation" is ambiguous, I've always said.  A
very, very
> good actor (especially if he's a superhuman AI), might simulate you
> just fine, fooling all your friends and relatives. In other words, this
> god-like being is just pulling the strings on a puppet.  Unfortunately,
> that counts as a successful simulation of you on some usages of the
> term.
> But to *emulate* you means that something really is you, just as one
> operating system may emulate another. I didn't make this distinction
> above when I first wrote, due to shortage of space.  A successful
> upload emulates you perfectly, has your thoughts and feelings (or,
> perhaps the ones you may have tomorrow), and your genuine
> internal experiences.

But with an emulation, the uploading proccess is some kind of "make a copy
and destroy (probably) the original". Then the uploaded me would not be me.
It would just be something that thinks it's me. The "me" must be transferred
to the "new me", not copied, more like uninstalling my software and
installing it somewhere else.