[ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice

ABlainey at aol.com ABlainey at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 00:55:05 UTC 2008

sparkle_robot at yahoo.com writes:

> I have no argument with any of this -- I literally took the
> "self-sacrifice" thing to mean "sacrifice of a person's very life" in the initial context of
> the question, but you're right in pointing out that it isn't always life
> that's at risk.  (To me I say, "Duh!")
>
> If Max was really referring to a hero who literally risks *nothing*
> important to him or her, but still manages heroism, then my first thought would be a
> kind of Zen-type character who has no "attachments" and therefore does not
> feel that any outcome represents a personal loss, even if others might consider
> particular outcomes very distressing.  But I don't know if many readers
> would be able to relate to such a character.
>
> - Anne

I read it differently, My take on self sacrifice was a little bit more
obscure. What of a parent who devotes their time and effort to a disabled child?
Surely this is a worthy self sacrifice without giving up their life. Heroic? or
just doing their duty. There are many equal examples, do we consider them
heroes? I don't think we do, although society does recognise such sacrifice
occasionally, but not really in the heroic sense.

Would a bomb disposal expert be considered heroic? what if the risk were
removed and they were doing it from the comfort of a van, operating a robot? To me
there are many factors in heroism which sway the equation. Personal risk,
duty, gain, relation to the person/thing being saved, Kudos, probability of
success, level of self worth, etc. Other factors sway it as well such as are there
any other people who could step up to the plate and do the deed, or would the
deed save more lives' than would be risked.

I am at a loss to think of an example of being heroic without any risk.
Certainly not within my own context of the word 'Hero.'

Alex