[ExI] Heroism without self-sacrifice

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 01:28:03 UTC 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008, Anne Corwin wrote:
> ?I know there's a lot of dramatic tension inherent in the "struggle
> to resolve who wins in a zero-sum game", but it would be interesting
> to see if similarly satisfying levels of dramatic tension could be
> achieved in a setting where everyone manages to win in some way.

 I think the tension would arise from the risk to whoever/whatever the hero is fighting for or protecting. I think for best effect,
The zero sum game must escalate in order to increase the risk to these non-players and thus heighten the drama.
Otherwise you are reduced to a punch for punch Superman Vs Bad Superman. Situations which usually wimp out with a luck based
win for the protagonist.
The other solution is that the game is infinite. A god vs Devil scenario where the reader is the person at risk.
Which appears to have been a literary masterpiece!

Alex