[ExI] The Monkey Experiment, (or) "Why Do We Do That?"

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 20:30:21 UTC 2008

Gary Miller wrote:
Bullies bully because they have been trained in aggression at a young age
and repeat the behavior without even understanding why.

Some intelligent people repeat their bullying behavior *fully understanding
why* and simply view it as beneficial to them in getting what they want, to
hell with anyone else (as long as they think they can get away with it...).
There are many very successful, educated and wealthy individuals throughout
the world who unfortunately fit into this rotten category.

you continue:
I think assertiveness training needs to be a part of every child's
schooling.  It teaches the difference between being assertive and aggressive
and teaches how not to be a victim or a bully.

I think this is a great idea.

you continue:
It give me hope for the future that groups like the Boy Scouts are now
offering merit badges for learning about bullying. Scouts are encouraged to
speak out for and protect others they see being bullied.

I didn't know they had a bullying merit badge!  Good for them!  I used to be
a Boy Scout and have some fond memories.  This bullying merit badge combined
with "martial arts," "law," "first aid," "crime prevention" and "shotgun
shooting," should help young men be ready to deal with the bullies of the
world.

Oh, but wait...  I did some googling and discovered that there has
never been a martial arts merit badge!  I completely agree with the author
of the following link.

http://www.semperfitkd.com/boyscouts.asp

I hope in time the Boy Scout leadership will change their mind regarding
having a martial arts merit badge.

John