[ExI] Vatican's list of seven 'social sins'

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:58:52 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008, Amara Graps wrote:
>      The seven social sins are:
>
>      1. "Bioethical" violations such as birth control

There is a blurring line between mental birth control (deciding not to)
and pharmoceutical birth control. When are they going to start deciding
that it is unethical to even think about _not_ replicating? Cancer.

>      2. "Morally dubious" experiments such as stem cell research

I guess they are uninterested in how some of us are able to reconcile
morality with stem cell research? Shouldn't they be interested in
adopting as much as possible into their world-view? Guess not.

>      3. Drug abuse

That's a hard line to find. It may be more productive to set up social
services to help out people who may not be using drugs effectively. For
example, in the case of the recent emails re: nootropics, I bet we are
going to have to train fellows how to properly use their brains and any
enhanced abilities, rather than expecting them to pop a pill and
magically know.

>      4. Polluting the environment

Heh, some of us think religion is polluting the environment. Now what?
(signal-to-noise)

>      5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor

Moral wealth, or monetary wealth?

>      6. Excessive wealth

Is this asking for a limit on intelligence?

>      7. Creating poverty

That's a tough one. Any takers?

- Bryan