[ExI] Reconceptualizing the hero myth

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 20:09:34 UTC 2008

Gary:"I'd like to quote Zindell:
> 'Without end,' Hanuman said. The pain of self-overcoming is just the
> beginning. Then, for our kind, if we're strong enough, if our souls
> are great and deep ? then comes the real pain. What's real pain, you
> ask? The power to choose what we will. Having to choose. This
terrible
> freedom. These infinite possibilities. The taste for the infinite
> spoiled by the possibility of evolutionary failure. Real pain is
> knowing that you're going to die, all the while knowing that you
don't
> have to die.'   'But, Hanu, everything dies,' Danlo said softly. He
> turned to face the scarred, old shih tree, and he pressed his
forehead
> against it. When he looked up, he felt the zig-zag mark where the
> tree's icy bark had cut into his skin.  Hanuman shook his head and
> continued, 'But why die at all, Danlo? Mightn't there be a new phase
> of evolution? A new kind of being? Can't you understand? I'm trying
> delineate an emergent quality of the brain. New synapses. New
> connections. A constellation of qualities and abilities, of new
levels
> of existence. Consciousness heightened and exalted in itself,
> purified. This pure consciousness that we really are. That we
struggle
> to be. For our kind, there's always the burning to be more. The
> eternal longing. And this is why true human beings feel more pain.
> Because we are more, but it's never quite enough ? never. And we are
> aware of this neverness inside our souls. And aware of being aware.
> There is a feedback. Can you understand what this is like? Pain is
> magnified, infinitely. Each moment of time. Reality becomes almost
too
> real. It blazes. All the universe afire with the possibilities of
> light, and madness, too. Real pain is the burning that never stops,
> the frenzy, the lightning.' "

Hi, thanks for the above quote which expressed discontent of the human
condition prone to illness, poverty and death.

The factors that contribute to mental health are within reach of
everyone yet sensient beings are numberless and a Boddhisattva vows to
save them all from suffering delusions by learning and doing what is
unattainable.  Hanuman said that "real pain is knowing that you're
going to die and all the while knowing that you don't have to die."

Perhaps a Boddhisattva is a reconceptualized hero?

Terry