[ExI] Armchair Evolutionary Psychology: Larks vs Night Owls

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 23:15:51 UTC 2008

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200712/primarysources?wtID=33.3czt.11.3lcx
> (scroll down for "How you sleep is who you are")

Well according to the article linked to in The Atlantic:
------------
"Social behavior diverges as well: Morning people are more likely to be
self-controlled and exhibit “upstanding” conduct; they respect
authority, are more formal, and take greater pains to make a good
impression. (Earlier research also suggests that they are less likely
to hold radical political opinions.) Evening people, by contrast, are
“independent” and “nonconforming,” and more reluctant to listen to
authority—which suggests that teachers may have several reasons to
prefer those students who wake up in time for class."
Based on this, I would half-jokingly suggest that night owls who were
up after the alpha male had gone to sleep could have sex without
getting beaten up for it. And the evolutionary advantage of that is
self-evident.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Life is the sum of all your choices."