[ExI] Armchair Evolutionary Psychology: Larks vs Night Owls

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 15 03:51:18 UTC 2008

At 01:49 PM 3/15/2008 +1030, Emlyn wrote:

>Yep, night owl men and women are up, in the Benny Hill sense, at the
>same time. No gender bias here, I think.

I doubt that we know enough about the sleeping/screwing arrangements
in our ancient EEAs to be sure about that). It's not as if the two
moieties are completely separated by time; night owls might go to
sleep and get up as much as, say, 4 or even 6 hours after the early
birds (if those ducks and drakes were thoughtful and kept their
chatter and song to a minimum), but they don't divide the day between
them. And, horrid though it is to say, while a male probably needs to
be fairly awake to get it up and in, females have been known to sleep
through the operation. But that's not the main thing, either, because
I'm suggesting that while the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed males are
off hunting and gathering, the late riser male sneaky fuckers are
sometimes whispering endearing words to the early ducks who are now
getting ready for a smoko and a cuppa after their morning toil, which
mixes the alleles up something chronic.

I reckon this all gets too, um, hard to work out without a really
good sense of the daily economies in question, whether the men and
women sleep in separate lodges, if there are sacred prohibitions
against fucking at certain times of the day or liturgical season or
in the presence of infants at the breast, etc.

Damien Broderick