[ExI] Universal Transhumanist Bibliography

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 16:56:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> Interesting list. You note: "This is of course a work in progress and
> far from complete."
> I don't see:
> *anything* by Yudkowsky! [or does "published in volume and currently
> in print" mean that salient work freely available on the web is
> excluded? that is, does "in volume" mean "in *a* volume"/"in a paper
> book" and not "only available in very limited numbers"?]

Yes. The self-imposed limitation should read "published as the main content
of a paper book, which be not out-of-print at the time of its inclusion",
arbitrary as it obviously is. If on the other hand a text is also available
full-text on the Web, or, say, published as well in a paper antology, that's
fine.

We were initially reluctant to include fiction - not because it is not worth
doing, but merely to concentrate our efforts and... leave something to do to
other H+ groups... :-) - but at the end of the day we decided to do it.
Admittedly, however, the fiction section is by far the weakest.

Needless to say, we are perfectly aware that many seminal works on
transhumanism or of primary importance to H+ ideas may have been published
as articles on reviews, magazines and newspapers / only on the Web / as blog
entries. But there again, to list as well all that stuff is a work for
another day. Some of us, in fact, insisted that we also include movies, and
we chose not to do that either.

> Ed Regis, Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition (1991) [a
> key historical text]
>
> Damien Broderick, The Last Mortal Generation (1999)
>
> Damien Broderick, Transcension (2002)  [but sf by Greg Egan is listed]

Due note taken, thank you very much.

Stefano Vaj