[ExI] LA Times: 'Artscience' by David Edwards

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 00:51:16 UTC 2008

At 07:29 PM 3/16/2008 -0500, Natasha wrote:

>>In the arts, the most profound academic movement of the last 30 years
>>has been the rise of theory, which is the creative equivalent of an
>>autopsy, less about culture than about the dissection of culture --
>>and as such, a kind of cultural death.
>
>I can't make sense of this.  Sounds like postmodernist propaganda.

This is a 180-degree misreading of David L. Ulin's statement. Like
*anti*postmodernist propaganda, if anything. More strictly, I'd say,
antipoststructuralism.

Re-read his preceding paragraph:

"How many groundbreaking cultural ideas have come from universities?
And how many from independent artists and thinkers, operating in some
unbound territory of their own?"

Damien Broderick