[ExI] are we not just one race, the human race?

Anne Corwin sparkle_robot at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 04:53:26 UTC 2008

No, no meeting with aliens is required at all.  We already look at other
mammals even on our own planet askance, as if they weren't fully human.
In fact, they're often treated as if, well, as if they were animals.  :-)

Lee

 Well, given some of the attitudes I've come across as of late, if humans did end up meeting intelligent aliens at any point, there would be groups of humans insisting that regardless of the fact that the aliens were perfectly happy the way they were, they ought to be coercively modified on the basis that they "don't know what they're missing" on account of not being human.  You know, because it's "compassionate" and all.  Blech.

Seriously, I fear for any alien species that doesn't appear to act and think on average like your standard neurotypical human -- if I knew of any such species I would advise them to stay the heck away from Earth if they valued their freedom to self-determine at all.

 - Anne

"Like and equal are not the same thing at all!"
- Meg Murry, "A Wrinkle In Time"