[ExI] Desires of Immortality {Terry}

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 15:07:49 UTC 2008

Desires of immortality arise from memes and genetic processes of
interactions. Desires are neither right nor wrong. Some memes/culture
suppress some desires for fear of punishment or in anticipation of a
reward, another mistake in thinking.

Genetic variations are seen as abnormalities like autism and some
society feel pity on the individual with autism by projecting their
idea of happiness or suffering as universal truth. Thoughts or ideas of
happiness or suffering are movements of the mind being fed by memes.
Let me quote a Zen master, Hsueh-Yen saying: "
""One moon appears everywhere in all bodies of water; the moons in all
bodies of water are contained in one moon. This is a metaphor for one
mind producing myriad things and myriad things producing one mind. This
refers to dream illusions, flowers in the sky, half-seeming, half
empty."

We are thoughts produced by the movement of our minds. Dreams/thoughts
have no direct connection to reality like illusions of flowers in the
sky. Why did Hsueh-yen thinks that illusions are half-seeming, half
empty?

Is it due to an innate narcissitic tendency of an ego fed by thoughts
of a self? Brain cells die and genes mutate which one are you? Thoughts
come and go and some memories/thoughts imprinted in the brain die along
with the death of some neurons as in dementia which is just a process
of kinetic energy in the brain.

  If we cling to thoughts as if these processes are permanent, we suffer
pschological distress. The prolonged mental torture cause the death of
neurons and the cycle of energy undergoes changes from one physical
form {aging and death].

The physical appearances of change maybe desirable or not depending on
the observer [society]. If there is no observer, there is no
thought/desire for happiness or aversion to suffering.

Terry