[ExI] META: Overposting

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Mar 24 16:07:19 UTC 2008

I'm not a strong supporter of statistics because often the person
collecting them has an ulterior motive.  (A typical problem for
ethnography as well.)

Regardless, Bryan's stats are reflective of list postings; but the
stats are not accurately describing the overposting because
overposting is based on daily postings, not overall postings for a
period of time.  For example.  Spike could post 6 messages every day,
while most list members only post 2 a day.  But Sam could post 12 in
one day and no posts on other days.  Sam is the one who is
overposting, not Spike.

The list rules are 8 posts maximum a day.  That might be too much in
some instances where the topic is bland and the posts have low
content, and too little when there is a hot topic with meaningful
content in the posts.

Long and short, our dear John was the one overposting.

Natasha