[ExI] Transgender man is pregnant

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 26 03:13:23 UTC 2008

I've been participating in the GLTB support/discussion group at the Palo
Alto Unitarian-Universalist church, as a straight ("but not narrow", in
fact kinda kinky) "ally" member.  As a biochemist by training, I've been
very interested in the biology of transgender people.  So far my working
hypothesis is that hormones during critical times of fetal development
determine separately (a) what sex we feel we are and (b) what sex we are
attracted to and of course (c) what our genitals look like.

The article seems to say that the transgender male still has female
organs like ovaries and uterus, but takes testosterone to get male
horniness, muscle development, and appearance (like facial hair).   If
hormones are the explanation, it matters whether the baby is XX or XY.
If XX, the exogenous (from outside) testosterone would act like the
endogenous (produced inside) testosterone of an XY fetus, and would push
development along the male path.   If the fetus is XY, the exogenous
testosterone would add to the effect of the baby's own testosterone and
push it quite firmly down the male path.

It is possible that testosterone was discontinued during this pregnancy,
or even in order to  have this pregnancy.  I sure hope the medical
details will be reported, as the baby's development --- even its
conception --- has implications for a variety of questions.

If the exogenous testosterone was not taken during the pregnancy, the
hormonal environment would be like a typical fetal environment during a
pregnancy, and XX would become female, with XY becoming male.

There is another set of hormonal cases that are probably much more
common.  Before I met her, my ex-wife was a rather spacey young woman
who took birth control pills but not reliably.  She became pregnant with
an XY fetus, and did not know that she was pregnant for most of the
fetal development.  She continued to take her birth control pills,
dosing the XY fetus with female hormones.  Her son was adopted out after
birth, but reunited with her in his early 20's.  My ex had told me the
history and I recognized the possible battle between masculinizing and
feminizing hormones, so I observed him closely during the few visits
they had.  He seemed very emotionally expressive, like a young woman,
but had a body shaped by his endogenous testosterone since he left the
womb.  I respected his privacy and did not  inquire about his genital
size or development.

 - David Harris