[ExI] Sam Harris Can

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 19:40:06 UTC 2008

"From: "Stefano Vaj" <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> said:
> I beg to differ. I am not a US citizen, but I believe that the
> pratical requirement to stay with one's church, or at least with *a*
> church, any church, reflects more badly on the society that imposes
it
> that on the candidate that has to conform with such expectation if he
> wants to have a chance.
>
> Moreover, as much as I hate hypocrisy and dishonesty, I would live
> with it any day if the alternative were not just somebody who bows
and
> defers to the superstitions and beliefs concerned for the sake of
> being elected, but somebody who even actually *believes* in them...

AiGuy Reponse:
The practical requirement to stay with a church in order to get elected
is
a byproduct or the wishes of the majority.  And the will of the
majority and
their
right to vote for a candidate they are comfortable with is what
demcarcy is all
about.
So assuming your hypothetical candidate was willing to lie about his
faith and
religious
affiliation.  How would you know to vote for him?  How could you
believe his
stance
on any other issues which were important to you, because he could be
lieing
about those
as well.  When we reduce an election to a popularity contest on who has
more
charisma ,
is a better speaker and tells the majority whatever they believe the
majority
wants to hear
then we are abusing the very democracy and freedom to choose who will
govern us.
The honor and honesty of a candidate should always be considered and
explored
because
without those nothing else the candidate tells us can have any meaning.