[ExI] Space Elevator (Going Down)

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 11:10:32 UTC 2008

Kevin Freels  asked :

 >> Sorry if I missed the obvious, but are you referring to something
similar to a canon? A long tunnel dug into the ground stuffed with a
projectile and a nuke behind it?  >>

No the whole objective of the space elevator was to create a transport so we
could beam energy back to earth.

My idea was that due to to the difficulties of going up into space right
now, we focus our resources on developing innovative energy
source here on Earth or perhaps below the Earths surface hence (Going Down).

Solar is already being worked to death and coupled with nanotechnology to
improve cell efficiencies shows real promise.

Wind Farms are increasing steadily but looks to be a bit player with no
hopes of dramatically increasing it's efficiency.

Tidal generation has promise but is limited in where it can be done.

Hydroelectric is good but we'd need some megaengineering to dig channels
from the Great Lakes across the midwest and build hydroelectric plants along
the way.   We may need to do that eventually anyway to increase the water
supply to states in the midwest but we will be fighting the ecologists and
states that border the Great Lakes all the way.

My idea was to just bury the nuke deep enough that upon detonation we create
artificial Geothermal energy sources here on Earth.