[ExI] Arthur C. Clarke dies

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 00:52:48 UTC 2008

At 04:43 PM 3/29/2008 -0700, spike joenese wrote:

>For those who haven't read it, Damien's The Spike is kinda like an updated
>version of Profiles of the Future.

Even for those who have. :)

I know I'm not the one who should repeat this, but...

In the final edition of Profiles of the Future, a book that had a
profound impact on me, too, when I read it as an adolescent, shortly
after it was published, I found this astonishing comment on p. 148:
'Since this chapter was written, these ideas have been developed in
great detail by such writers as Eric Drexler (The Engines of
Creation, 1986) and Damien Broderick (The Spike, 1997). Damien's book
will serve as a more imaginative sequel to the one you are reading now.'

Holy shit.

As if that wasn't enough, a bit further on I found this delightful
comment on page 189: 'In The Last Mortal Generation (1999), the
Australian polymath and science fiction writer Damien Broderick has
suggested that immortality is not merely desirable--but inevitable.
My recommendation of this truly mind-stretching book was not in the
least affected by its dedication: "For Arthur C. Clarke, who profiled
the future and dreamed of advanced sciences indistinguishable from magic."'

Sir Arthur liked showing people pictures of him taken with the Pope
or US President or Russian astronaut du jour, or Werner von Braun,
like that. Me, I like showing quotes with me and him...

Damien Broderick