[ExI] EP and Peak oil.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 21:02:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM, John K Clark wrote:
<snip>
>  You can fantasize about nuclear fusion (hot or cold) or vacuum zero point
>  energy all you want but the cold hard reality is that right now only 5
>  technologies have the potential to replace oil. All of them would give Green
>  Party tree huggers a tizzy fit (but then everything gives them a tizzy fit);
>  and none of them are exactly cheap, except perhaps the last if we did it
>  just right. They are:
>
>  1) Coal
>  2) Tar Sands
>  3) Oil Shale
>  4) Methane clathrate, (the least developed technology)
>  5) Nuclear Fission

The most excellent futurist Brian Wang has a post on this subject.
<http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/03/big-energy-picture.html>

Highlight Quote:

Energy Plan
Any reasonable energy plan has to look at still obtaining and using
oil for the next ten to twenty years. This means enhanced oil recovery
and new oil sources (such as the Bakken Formation) and new natural gas
sources.

Everything else takes *that* long to make a dent in energy use.
And nuclear power has to be much increased.

BillK