[ExI] Under the libertarian yoke

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 4 19:18:45 UTC 2008

The Avantguardian wrote:
> --- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brainstorm here with us on how to solve the problem of global warming,
>> assuming that we have been invaded by highly advanced (and therefore
>> libertarian) aliens, who say they will fry with lasers everybody who
>> initiates the use of force but they won't help us otherwise in dealing
>> with our problems (of course they won't, they are heartless
>> libertarians). So, willy-nilly, if you want to avoid a miserable death
>> on a parched planet, you have to deal with global warming without
>> simply grabbing a gun and going after people who disagree with you.
>>

> When I was in college, a friend of mine named James Pitts wrote a science
> fiction short story regarding genetically-engineered bacteria that when
> injected into an oil field rapidly metabolized the oil and polymerized it into
> a fibrous gelatinous mass that was impossible to pump out of the ground.

Stopping the flow of oil abruptly would kill billions of people through
starvation and bring all economies of the world to a grinding halt.
This is not a reasonable thing to ever contemplate.    Remember always
that it will take many years to move the world to new forms of energy
even when we have the technology perfected.
> Such an organism used on oil fields throughout the world might render them
> useless thus bringing the world to the point it would be in a few decades any
> way. One could concievably do this without violence or even without anyone
> knowing it had been done deliberately.
It is clearly violence and utterly irresponsibly playing God and without
thinking through obvious consequences.

- samantha