[ExI] Under the libertarian yoke was Re: Next Decade May See No Warming

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 4 19:41:54 UTC 2008

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> It wouldn't be a matter of a few people forcing their views on
> everyone else. The issue is that, as Jef said, the superrational
> course of action is to cooperate, while the "rational" course of
> action is to defect.
>
> The two choices are:
>
> (a) no-one is compelled to do anything - everyone gets 50 units of utility;
> (b) everyone is forced to cooperate - everyone gets 100 units of utility.

History is full of examples of would be world improvers who thought they
had this argument down pat, knew very much what would be best or were at
least determined to find it and force everyone to adhere.   When they
have come to power many tens of millions of their own people have died
prematurely.   We should really be extremely careful not to fall into
this old deadly pattern yet again.

> Knowing all this, I and everyone else would *willingly* agree to be
> compelled to cooperate.
If you agree to cooperate then their is no need for compulsion.

> Collectivist anarchism might allow for such
> cooperation while free market anarchism would not. If the advanced
> aliens are all libertarians this may explain the Fermi Paradox.

Hahaha.  Actually the Fermi Paradox is explained by a lot of the alien
best minds pretty much ignoring the seriousness of the same
technological/political cusp we are in until much too late.   Perhaps
they spend too much time in sterile email exchanges.   :-)

- samantha