[ExI] Gina "Nanogirl" update: yes it is Multiple Sclerosis

Gina Miller nanogirl at halcyon.com
Fri May 9 03:03:22 UTC 2008

Yes I have seen this mentioned in respect to MS although not this particular article and it is a very interesting indeed, thank you. I would like to see more years on the results (mostly because sometimes MS patients can appear to be episode free for many years and then something will happen) and I will research the information you provided further. I do have personal experience with stem cell transplants, as you may recall my husband who was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (cancer) in 2004 had two stem cell transplants in 2005 and let me just tell you, it is extremely intense and dangerous (some people don't make it). When you have the pre chemo before hand they are basically killing you, by killing all of your cells and it is only the transplant of the stem cells that saves you, but boy is it rough getting there. So even if this is proven true at some date I would still hope for our improving on these treatments so that they are not as severe in nature.... come on nano medicine!

I have started noticing stem cell transplants being mentioned as treatments for other diseases as well, I think I saw someone on TV say they had one to treat Hepatitis and they went into a 100 percent remission, I had never heard of that before - but it is sort of like a "reset" if you will, they take yours out and give you new ones - so I can see it in hindsight.

I'm still in an early diagnosis (and I am still hoping that I am in the lucky 20% -small I know- that doesn't have the most dire continuation of the illness) so even if this research does move forward it probably would have to wait to be an option until I had much more debilitating symptoms, and even at that - since it would be new in relationship to this disease it would be initially considered "experimental" by the insurance company. I know this from my experience with Jim, while the allogeneic stem cell transplants (in which stem cells are provided by a donor) were available and used regularly for decades they would not approve it for him, they considered it "experimental" (not the medical community just the insurance company) so he had two auto stem cell transplants (self donated) instead, we had no choice in the matter even though we would have preferred the allogeneic for his second transplant with the data available at the time. However you can usually see a clear difference in the amount of money, just from memory here: for the autologous (which they approved) it was between 80,000 - 125,000 verses the denied allogeneic which was about 250,000 (depending upon how long they have to search for a donor). It's clearly a substantial difference. But all this research is terrific because we learn more - and I really hope they come up with some solutions for MS, MM and for all other illnesses out there.
In the meantime they did send off my request to the insurance company for the weekly Avonex shots, haven't heard anything back yet. Please do not hesitate to forward me anything else you may find in the future, I want to stay informed and I very much appreciate your helping me to do so by sending this to me.

Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
Nanotechnology Industries
http://www.nanoindustries.com
Personal: http://www.nanogirl.com
This health stuff blog: http://ginamiller.blogspot.com/
Animation Blog: http://maxanimation.blogspot.com/
Craft blog: http://nanogirlblog.blogspot.com/
Foresight Senior Associate http://www.foresight.org
Nanotechnology Advisor Extropy Institute  http://www.extropy.org
Email: nanogirl at halcyon.com
"Nanotechnology: Solutions for the future."