[ExI] Lack of interest

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:53:27 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> > I don't see how that's a problem. We created money. It's our
> > monster.
>
> ...what?

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

"Debian (pronounced [ˈdɛbiən]) is a computer operating system composed
entirely of software which is both free and open source. Its primary
form, Debian GNU/Linux, is a popular and influential Linux
distribution.[1] It is a multipurpose OS; it can be used as a desktop,
laptop, or server.

Debian is known for strict adherence to the Unix and free software
philosophies.[2] Debian is also known for its abundance of options —
the current release includes over twenty-six thousand software packages
for eleven computer architectures. These architectures range from the
Intel/AMD 32-bit/64-bit architectures commonly found in personal
computers to the ARM architecture commonly found in embedded systems
and the IBM eServer zSeries mainframes.[3] Throughout Debian's
lifetime, other distributions have taken it as a basis to develop their
own, including: Ubuntu, MEPIS, Dreamlinux, Damn Small Linux, Xandros,
Knoppix, Linspire, sidux, Kanotix, and LinEx among others.[4] A
university's study concluded that Debian's 283 million source code
lines would cost 10 billion USA Dollars to develop by proprietary
means."

So $10 billion USD. Impossible, right? So when we extrapolate such an
infrastructure to something larger, what changes? So now you have to
work with matter, not just bits and bytes, so what? How'd the first
people on the planet do it? They picked up rocks and the materials they
found around them. I'm not saying scraps. I'm just suggesting that
maybe there's a way to actually do it, and waiting for the government
to do it hasn't worked out for us yet, so let's get going. (more on
this later)

- Bryan