[ExI] Wikipedia Corruption

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 14 09:15:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
>  Can anyone further substantiate the charge that
>  Wikipedia is "corrupt", or suggest links (that you
>  endorse) that would back up this claim?

I thought everyone was familiar with the news articles over the past
year or two about the problems with Wikipedia. Is this a faux-naif
question?  ;)

A Google on 'Wikipedia admin bias censorship' gives plenty to read.
Wikipedia itself has a good article on the subject (probably biased, though)  :)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia>
Quote:
Notable criticisms include that its open nature makes it
unauthoritative and unreliable, that it exhibits systemic bias, and
that its group dynamics hinder its goals. Specific criticisms include
the encyclopedia's exposure to obvious or subtle vandalism, attempts
by strongly opinionated editors to dominate articles, inaccurate or
sometimes non-existent sourcing for controversial assertions in
articles, and edit wars and other types of nonconstructive conflict
among editors.

That's why one of the founders has set up a new online encyclopedia
with stricter rules.

<http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Main_Page>
Quote:
We are creating the world's most trusted encyclopedia and knowledge base.
The general public and experts collaborate, using their real names.

BillK