[ExI] Jacques Cousteau on evolution and survival

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 16 19:14:26 UTC 2008

>There would be very little if any change without the environmental
>changes or the death of those who couldn't cope with it.

There might well be lots of incremental genome/phenotype changes
without any environment changes at all, as first clumsy
approximations to use of environmental affordances get fine tuned in
generation after generation through mutation and selection; what's
more, the less fit need not *die* more swiftly, just not breed as
abundantly, so that their fecundity is less competitive. Americans on
average die later than many African or Middle Eastern Muslims, yet
the fertility of the latter might massively exceed that of the
former. They inhabit different *memetic* environments, it's true, but
I doubt that's what Cousteau had in mind (could be comparable, though).

Damien Broderick