[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 16 23:24:46 UTC 2008

Amara I didn't see anything in the Google News health section about Myanmar,
but I found these two articles among their world headlines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/world/asia/17myanmar.html?ref=world

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/world/asia/14myanmar.html?_r=1&fta=y&oref=
slogin

It isn't clear to me what was the not-so-subtle point you had in mind.

> The non-English speaking versions do not have this extra
> section, perhaps because those readers already understand how
> serious is the situation there.

An explanation I can think of is that the non-English speaking audience does
not like to see the US and UN as the good guys.  According to the script the
English speaking world isn't supposed to fill that role.  Here we have the
US and the UN sending food and medical aid, but the Myanmar government
refuses to let it get to those who desperately need it.