[ExI] Christianity: where to now?

Alan Brooks alaneugenebrooks52 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 22:56:23 UTC 2008

In an age of STDs celibacy makes sense for many weaker persons.
This brings up the bigger issue of whether or not we've entered or are starting to enter a post- futurist interregnum wherein the necessary fiction of religion becomes a default glue holding what we optimistically call 'civilization' together.  you think?
Didn't Naisbitt give it a name like "high tech, high touch"?
Older people have every reason to turn to religion-- what do they have to lose?
I turned to religion because the time when (if *luck* prevails) I'll be suspended at Alcor draws closer. Spent a month volunteering at Alcor last year and would gaze at the dewars, imagining being inside.. Only thing disturbing was the laboratory odors, the "smells of death" I was thinking.

.
[...]The Roman Catholic Church shows not much of a will to change some basic
things. Like: celibacy (consider the biological consequences), using cold
and uncomfortable churches, very strict dogma etc. Even though 80% is a high
number, in Europe internet usage is circa 20% greater than in the USA
(considering the number of access points per capita I suppose). So I suppose
the church might suffer greatly if they keep on like this (as people have
access to more and more information). Take into consideration the Middle
Ages as well. The Church continues to expand (like our school might also
become Catholic), might they not slow down progress once again? Or what will
be the future of religion anyways? I'm interested in material on the topic,
mainly connected to the Catholic Church. If they must change, then how? And
how is Christianity compatible with most of the future models presented
here? I just can't imagine a posthuman believing in God... Can you?

(To avoid misunderstanding I must say I value faith as faith is a great
guide to a Homo Sapiens in hardships)

Thomas