[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun May 18 06:44:00 UTC 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Bryan writes
>
> > Why can't [use of engineering] contacts and [the assembly]
> > of space-based solar power plans [be undertaken on-line]?
>
> I hope I didn't mangle your sentence too badly :-)
>
> I doubt if I understand your plan/campaign very well---
> you may need to elaborate, but  I think that it's true

Yes, I do need to elaborate. I'm working on it. ;-)

> that you can point to certain software projects having
> come to fruition in this manner.  Right?

Yes.

> > I'll host the schematics and the shell servers for people
> > to dump git repos on and so on. Cost stuff can be done
> > later. Research stuff can be mapped out and minimized
> > via dumping the content out on a wiki and letting other
> > eyes glance over it.
>
> But are there examples of *manufacturing* projects
> successfully materializing in this kind of grass-roots
> fashion?  Nobody would be happier than I'd be to
> read about (or at least know that there were) such
> successful projects.

No, not that I know of. However, it's totally unnecessary, since if you
have the plans floating around the internet, anybody -- even the big
fish -- can bite down on it and implement it.

http://laptop.org/ is an example of getting some stuff out there.

- Bryan