[ExI] Christianity: where to now?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:07:27 UTC 2008

Bryan Bishop wrote:
But frankly, when you have a live demonstration right in front of a young
kid, who are
they going to believe? Prayer for a cure to a disease, or a machine
that can deliver? Hmm.

I don't think it is an either/or proposition.  They will (for
example...) more likely accept the machine and then later pray and thank
their higher power for receiving it.

Bryan Bishop continues:
Breaking up old, crusty social institutions is an interesting topic. How
would you do this without stepping on too many toes? Reform of
institutions isn't exactly something that humans are specialized in.
Especially since most institutions are supposed to last forever (the
U.S. Experiment didn't have a due date).

Religion has an amazing power to adapt to the changing times.  It can be a
painful and drawn out process, but still necessary for it's survival and
success.  The coming century/possible Singularity will *greatly* speed this
up.

M1N3R wrote:
> posthuman believing in God... Can you?
Bryan replied:
Yes. It's very easy to imagine that.

I agree.  I think the old saying, "the more we know, the more we realize we
don't know," may help to explain the future religiousosity of the coming
generations/sentient forms.  But how they envision a higher power may be
quite different from the average citizen of Earth, circa 2008.  I was
fascinated by Richard Dawkins, speaking in my area, saying that he
envisioned a SETI-like program decades/centuries from now that
would actually try to scientifically contact "God/god."

John Grigg