[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:41:50 UTC 2008

I found it interesting that the latest Rambo film (I admit it, I'm a big fan
of the series) had John Rambo take on the army of the militarily
controlled Burmese government, when Christian missionaries are kidnapped and
tortured (despite Rambo telling them many times, "stay out of Burma!").
Sylvester Stallone knows how to pick a good enemy for his popular character
to fight! lol  I suppose having Rambo fight Muslim terrorists would have
been in very bad taste, due to Western troops in the Middle East doing the
real thing.

In this film the modern-day "demigod" of war actually shows signs of
mortality & advancing age and has his life saved by a merc sniper.
The violent climax is when Rambo captures an enemy 50 cal and cuts to pieces
at least a battalion of enemy troops.  The CGI work was incredible (in terms
of realism) as countless Burmese soldiers were shown being literally torn in
half by the bullets.  But I kept on thinking, "this should be rated X for
violence!" lol  I guess Americans are comfortable with war but not sex.
Fortunately, Rambo did not have an explicit sex scene...

John Grigg