[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:56:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are really worried about the energy crisis, you have to DIY.

Agreed as far as it goes, but it won't be enough.  I'm dependent on cheap
sources of food, water, and a job to provide these things.  Even with all
the solar and wind power I can put together, all I'd have is basically
electricity.  Increases in fuel costs leads, eventually, to mass
unemployment *and* higher prices for food, water, and shelter.  Doing my own
gardening is *not* going to provide me with enough food year round unless I
have my own multi-acre farm, and even then, what am I going to do in the
winter?

That's the thing: a space based solar power station, even if the project is
successful, is only one link in the change.  We still need to find some way
to, basically, turn electricity into fuel that can be used to power tractors
and automobiles.  And how about industrial plants?  Do they use grid
electricity or do they use an oil derivative?

*Kevin*