[ExI] English-speaking Google News and Myanmar (Burma)

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:04:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:04 PM, M1N3R <m1n3r2 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

It's not quite hypocrisy.  It's because American culture is
underpinned by our Puritan past.

"According to Samuel Eliot Morison's Oxford History of the American
People, the Puritans 'were deeply impressed by a story that their
favorite church father, St. Augustine, told in his Confessions. He
heard a voice saying, tolle et lege, 'Pick up and read.' Opening the
Bible, his eyes lit on Romans xiii:12-14: 'The night is far spent, the
day is at hand; not in carousing and drunkenness, not in debauchery
and lust, not in strife and jealousy. But put ye on the Lord Jesus
Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts
therof''"(62).
http://www.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/purdef.htm

Doesn't say anything in Augustine's quote about refraining from
violence.  Just sex.

Also American culture is historically based on violence.  We were
created in violence (fleeing death in the old world and then against
native peoples in the new), grew in violence (our own revolution and
further native genocide and immigrant/class upheavals) and continue to
influence the rest of the world through violence.  The concept is
referred to as "regeneration through violence."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Slotkin
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA02/freed/fightclub/myth_viol.html
http://www.americanpopularculture.com/archive/politics/cowboy_myth.htm

PJ